A new subscriber, Mya Marsh, wrote:

"I just found out last weekend that my father was diagnosed with PD, 3
months ago.  He's 53.  Now that the inital shock and anger that something
like this could happen to my father has settled, I am determined to find out
everything I can for my dad and myself, and to share this information.  I've
been amazed with the information available on the internet.  I've pulled off
about 300 pgs of reading to take home to Dad.

I have a few questions:
How quickly does PD progress?  I gather it's different for everyone, but is
there some kind of an average for the majority?
How much can a proper diet & exercise routine benefit?
Has anyone found anything (food,vitamins,herbs,...) they thing helps in
slowing down the process?

I'd really appreciate any information."
________

Hello and Welcome Mya,
I just read your post and can't believe I've met someone exactly like me!
Your introduction was almost verbatim to the introduction I sent 3 months
ago, when my Dad was diagnosed. It's uncanny!

I'm 29 and my Dad is 68, and his only symptom is hand tremor.  Your initial
reaction was EXACTLY like mine. I also immediately got on the 'net and
printed off a few hundred pages for he and I to read. Your Dad is lucky to
have a daughter as caring and committed to learning about PD as you are.  It
sounds like you love your Dad as much as I do!

Reading and researching is a very good thing!  You'll learn tons and will
soon find, if you haven't already, that PD affects people VERY differently!
 This List is a wealth of information with wonderful people participating!

One thing, keep positive! Don't be obsessed as Dad and I were with the
POTENTIAL health problems that MAY result in the future. We both focused too
much on what COULD happen, and read way too much about the later, more
dehibiliting stages of PD. Now, we focus on the near future, trying to find
new ways to slow the progression of PD.  Dad is trying various
anti-oxidants/vitamins while taking his PD medicine. We haven't found any
"alternative" methods that have been proven to slow the progression of PD,
however some on this List do use herbal teas, mega doses of vitamins, etc...
I'm sure they'll speak up to help you.

Also, both of us have learned to keep current on new drug trials, surgeries,
potential cures. Someone on this list, I forgot his name (sorry:-)), sends
us monthly a digest version of PD papers from various journals. Also, stay
positive! There's a lot of hope for our Dads! In 5 years (hopefully), PD
treatment will be extremely advanced.  We're lucky, in that our Dads are
just starting on the PD path. They'll be able to benefit from all the new
future therapies which will prolong their life and give them an excellent
chance to live normally!

I'm glad  you found this List.  I certainly look forward to every morning (I
get the digest version) reading the messages from the day before. I always
learn something new and have made many new friends. By the way, where are
you from and how old are you?

Kristin