>Thanks to your encouragement and information received, I finally got the
>courage to convince our GP to give my mom a referral to a neurologist in
the
>nearest major city.  It will be on Oct. 24.  When I called to ask about the
>precise location of the office, etc., the nurse told me that new patient
>exams normally take about 1/2 hour.  Does this seem reasonable??

This seems reasonable, however, our first exam with a new neuro, took over 1
1/2 hours - but he is fresh out of his residency - and took extra care.

Will we be
>going home with one or two or three or more different kinds of meds with a
>complicated schedule??  Will he try just levrodopa (sic) or sinemet??

I'm not a neuro, but I'd guess 1 to 2 new meds - probably not complicated to
start with, but some times it gets complicated.

You should ask to see him once a month until your Mom is stable, after that,
we go about 3 to 4 times a year.

Is the
>vitamin E I see mentioned part of a regimen or just personal
supplementation??

All the other supplements we use are on our own and through the list.  Make
sure you tell him about all the symptoms - constipation, drooling, or
whatever your mom may exhibit.

I have a list of all my DAd's meds, times, amounts, who prescribed it and
when  and WHY (sometimes it is easy to forget.)   I take an updated list
every time we go to any doctor.  They really appreciate it.  It gives them
an overall picture of what the other doc's are doing too.

Like Camilla,  I have a notebook - they don't mind.  Basic advice - don't
let them rush you or assume you understand something that you don't.  MAKE
THEM TAKE THE TIME!  It helps me if Mom and I both take notes (Dad is the
patient)  and then we have two interpretations.

(BTW - I dated someone from Carmi in college.  Is it a big place?  Ever hear
of Joe Broom?)

Sara Byron - daughter of Richard (79/27)