You wrote:

>For several months now people have mentioned to me the values
>of regular massage,  probably even in PD....ANYBODY OUT
>THERE WITH EXPERIENCE ON THIS, MASSSAGES,
>SWEDISH  OR OTHERWISE...BERNARDO

Bernardo:

My husband and I have some training in massage. He uses a Shiatsu technique
while I do the best I can with a tremor in the right hand. I gently work
acupressure points and use gentle techniques. Both of us have found massage
to be of great value. We have friends who use a masseuse who uses Swedish,
Oriental, and even some Feldenkrais.

The thing both of us learned is go to a trained, certified professional if
you are wanting the deep-types of massage to help relieve some of the
cramping. An amateur can hurt you if they do not have a good, working
knowledge of anatomy and nerve placement.

Don't worry about what your friends will say <smile>. Your friends don't
have PD with all its frustrations and aches and pains and cramping. Any
relief obtained through massage is worth every cent. Some health plans
actually cover massage for certain problems. Being in my 40's, I don't know
much about or if medicare will.

At night, my husbands gentle massage often helps me unwind to the point of
sleeping for a few hours (what heavenly bliss) without waking in-between.
His massages help me focus on what it feels like to not be focused on the
interminable pains, cramps, etc. Instead, I try to focus on wherever he is
massaging (like my neck or shoulders) to the exclusion of the rest of my
body which is generally hurting. I concentrate on how good it feels to relax
each muscle under his fingertips. Believe it or not, with practice you can
actually tune out the rigidity or tremors or pain in other areas while being
massaged.

I hope you try the massage-type of your choice regularly for a period of
time and give it a good chance to help.  If you have further questions, feel
free to email us. We'll do our best to answer.  -- Llyn

***    Doug & Llyn Gruber      <[log in to unmask]>      ***
***    YESTERDAY is HISTORY...                                ***
***    TOMORROW is MYSTERY...                           ***
***   .TODAY is a gift...That's why they call it          ***
***                 "THE PRESENT"!    :-)                  ***