At 08:53 PM 10/7/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Subject: When to start PD Medicines
>
>Hello all: Continuing the debate with Will A Kuipers, Re email dated 6 Oct.
>
>  Hello Will,  A couple of points are worth making: On and Off symptoms
>are generally only really noticeable in the later years of PD. In the
>early years the story is more like a slow progression from a condition
>where the tablets are coping effectively, to one where they are not. The
>other characteristic which is linked with later years is diskinesias (Or
>random uncontrolled movements). These are caused by an excess dose of
>Levadopa. It is, as far as I can tell, the only negative side-effect
>associated with levodopa (Apart from slight nausea which affects some
>people.)

A note from another Will:

   Upon initial diagnosis week almost 6 years ago, I found myself with ON
and OFF symptoms.

As to negative symptoms from taking levodopa:

I get (and have for at least 5 and a half years) gotten a short-lived
negative result from taking Sinemet. My manual dexterity worsens
substantially for up to twenty mmminutes following dose...then the
improvement comes,.

On an empty stomach I can go from one sided akinesia, take a 25/100 [yellow]
Sinemet, go to serious akinesia on both sides, to very near normality in a
period of less than 20 minutes.

I am a firm believer in  starting levodopa [Sinemet] medication early, but
also feel that the amount should not be excessive. The tablets are scored
for easy adjustment of less than a pill at a time. I also believe in a
'boost' dose if needed between normal dose times. A whole 25/100 is often
too much boost. I often use a half or a quarter if I am comming OFF hard and
early --such as when I have been handling papers -- ad don't want the
dyskinesia that comes with too much Sinemet  at regular pill time.
WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
                410-543-0110
Pres A.P.D.A.  DelMarVa Chapter
63  Dx1991 Symptoms 1971