At 10:20  09/10/96 -0400, George Lussier wrote:
>Dear Reader,
> I"m curious. Would you be for or against a State mandated registration of
>all PDers,

This sounds like Big Brother watching to me.

>THE DATA WILL BE AVAILABLE TO ANY QUALIFIED RESEARCHER. THE REGISTRY WILL
CONTAIN THE INDIVIDUAL'S NAME, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, DATE OF
BIRTH,GENDER, ADDRESS AT TIME OF DIAGNOSIS,CURRENT ADDRESS,PHYSICIAN,AND
IDENTIFICATION OF REPORTING SOURCES

Who is considered a qualified Researcher?

>WITH REGARD TO ACCESS TO QUALIFIED
RESEARCHER:NAME,ADDRESS,ETC.IS NOT  AVAILABLE TO RESEACHER.ONLY GENERAL
LOCATION OF PERSON WITH PD

If access to this personal information is not available to the researcher,
why is the information needed?

>AS WELL AS ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION THE DEPARTMENT DEMONSTRATES IS
REASONABLE TO IMPLEMENT THE PARKINSON'S DISEASE REGISTRY ACT"

What's reasonable? Race, religion, political beliefs?

>THEY EVEN HAVE A PROVISION FOR SELF-REPORTING!

What happens if the physician or pharmacist does not comply?  Do they or we
end up in concentration camps?

>THAT THE PURPOSE OF THE REGISTRY IS FOR EPIDEMIOLOGY STUDIES

This may be the purpose...but why should it be mandatory?

Judith