I am wondering why there is so much objection to registering in
Nebraska.  Doesn't the CDC register diseases all the time?  I can think
of much positive that could come of it, including the promotion of PD
research and funding.

It seems to me that accurate data regarding the number of PWPs could
only further the cause of research and funding.  An accurate database
would be a terrific start for someone seeking to research PD in order to
develop a cure or better medications.  My brother recently received his
Ph.D. researching cystic fibrosis.  Who knows whether some bright Ph.D.
or M.D. student might suddenly take note of the still developing field
of PD research and make a career of it.  Registering can only make his
or her job more accessible.

Perhaps there are "pockets" of Parkinsons Disease which no one has yet
pinpointed, or common environmental factors which contribute to the
disease and which have yet to be discovered. Here is an opportunity to
begin to provide the very information that will help scientists to make
such discoveries.

A call for registration seems to me to be a step in the r i g h t
direction. It means that Parkinsons Disease is getting recognized and
taken seriously, perhaps partially as a result of the work on Capitol
Hill (who knows).  This is a positive thing.

I am curious to know what it is that people are afraid will happen to
the information they provide.  Other than the discomfort all of us feel
when divulging personal information to nameless organizations, I am hard
pressed to understand the negative implications of registration.

PD research is a desirable thing.  Accurate data is critical. Perhaps it
would be useful to find out ways similar data has been used in the past
for research on other diseases.

I'm not from Nebraska, and I come from a family of scientists and
educators (with a few artists thrown in), so I guess that's where my
perspective comes from.

Julie King