Mary Ann wrote:
<<<<It is absolutely normal to be depressed when one experiences the
life-altering events you have mentioned. There are many, many people who
have lived through even more traumatic incidences without developing PD,
however.

Too much Dopamine has been identified as the possible cause of some
psychosis, specifically schizophrenia. It should not be surprising that too
little Dopamine can cause depression. Infact, perhaps we have a chicken-egg
dilemma here - what comes first? Do low levels of Dopamine cause depression
prior to PD symptoms, or does depression cause low levels of Dopamine. I'm
voting for the former.>>>

The serotonin and endorphins levels are said to be low when one is
withdrawn or depressed.  Yes, it is depressing to live through losses.  I
was much depressed that Alan Bonander is no longer with us - for much of
the day I heard he died - and, briefly, several times since.

However, these are not the extremis depression that grips us on ocassion -
clinical depression.  Death of a mate sometimes is too hard to face; is
forgotten, denied, and the survivor withdraws in fear and anguish.
Sometimes to the extent that a few years of not enjoying is followed by
dementia or death. Sometimes, the survivor is not demented; has been
hanging on to not leave his/her spouse alone; and when s/he dies, the
survivor dies in a week or a month.

My conjecture is that the "placebo" effect is innate in the evolved species
architecture/anatomy.  As with many capabilities, they have positive as
well as negative effects: the sugar pill works if it is expected to work;
the healer (shaman, voudoo priest, oracle, physician) with his methods
often invokes the departure of the evil spirit (gloom and doom) to heal
with some ritual and sometimes some chemical "medicine" (if a medicine
man/woman was consulted).

On the opposite vector, the hex will sicken, maim, cripple, or even kill -
if the expectation is extremely strongly felt.  Our nature is complex - it
is emotively responsive to some startling events that are perceived as
life-or-death close calls. The fight or flight adrenaline surge gives us
superhuman strength and courage such as instances during war have been
reported; or, a mother lifting an automobile off her son; or, a man moving
a 2000-pound item to save a child.  The moment passed  and then neither
could budge what they had lifted.

The point being that emotional chemistry is powerful. Our expectation is
likely to occur.  If one does not care whether he lives or dies, he may
bring death to some cells via this sub-conscious chemistry of the attitude.

ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter