Charlie:  I work at a Neurosciences Institute that performs both
surgeries.  As of 8/96, they had performed 95 microelectrode-guided
radio-frequency pallidotomies on 71 patients and 22
microelectrode-guided radio-frequency thalamotomies on 18 patients.
None of these patients had adverse effects from the surgery.  We tell
all patients prior to surgery that the risks (of incorrect lesion
placement) include vision loss and/or weakness on one side of the body.
Patients are warned about (and many do experience) short-term impairment
of speech and/or balance due to brain swelling after surgery.  This can
last from days to weeks.  I hope this is helpful.  Carole Hilton