On 10/11/96 18:29:01 you wrote:

 It wasn't so easy recognising the "off" signals in the early days. But they
were there all right. A pronounced tingling sensation in my left forearm was
most useful in finding the minimum dose of Sinemet.

>Does anybody else have "off" and "on" recognition problems?
>
>JACK TIBBS [log in to unmask]
>.

My husband's "off" periods come upon him rather quickly. He does have a few
minutes of warning, however, almost akin to the aura that can signal an
imminent seizure for some epileptics. In his case, he says his feet suddenly
begin to feel very heavy, and almost as though they were glued to the
ground.

It is fortunate that he does have this warning, for it has happened a number
of times when we are out shopping, or taking care of routine business
affairs. Usually it has happened in the supermarket. When we arrive there,
he is zipping around with no problem walking or with balance. About the time
we arrive at the point in the store about as far from the car as one can
get, he begins to get heavy feet. So far, this has given him enough time to
leave and return to the car. Moments later, however, he can barely move. He
always totes his quad cane with him wherever he goes, and usually it barely
touches the ground. It is a security blanket. He has left it behind at the
bananas, or at the coffee aisle, or where he was mulling over which brand of
cereal provided the most beneficial fiber, only to miss it aisles later at
the dairy section when his feet suddenly turned to lead. The result has been
that I get my exercise racing up and down the length of the store looking
for the missing appendage.

Just another Parkinson adventure to add zest to life.

Martha Rohrer
CG for Neal 76/11