On Thu 10 Oct, Patrick J. Martin wrote:
> Carbidopa is a non-selective inhibitor of decarboxylating enzymes in the
> digestive system.  Levodopa(Ldopa) is a large "neutral" amino acid(LNAA) that
> can transfer through the blood/brain barrier and convert to dopamine that we
> need. This transfer is accomplished by the LNAA receptors in our blood.  Only
> about 1% of the Ldopa makes its way into our brain.  The remainder is digested
> and utilized elsewhere in our body -- as a source of dopamine at
> neurotransmitting sites and as building material for proteins.  Carbidopa's
> intended task is to maximize the Ldopa survival in our digestive system until it
> is carried by an LNAA receptor to our brain.
>
> Now -- the bad news.  Carbidopa is non-selective and inhibits the
> decarboxylation of other LNAA's derived from our digestion of proteins.  These
> other "neutral" amino acids include most of our essential amino acids.  Our
> digestive system responds by increasing our acid production, and retention.  Our
> protein digestion, utilization, and competition for LNAA receptors gets screwed
> up, we get barfy, get gastric reflux,  start swinging in the on/off mode, and
> starve ourselves to death..
>
> So -- give it some thought -- keep your carbidopa input down to the level YOU
> find necessary to fit your pattern of protein types, protein timing, Ldopa
> timing, and everday activities.  I find general agreement with the
> less-than-100mg/day limit.
> Factors that could affect this level are: my weight (150 pounds); my age(70); my
> years of parkinsonism(10); my years of carbidopa/Ldopa(7).  Unfortunately, my
> need for Ldopa has reached 1000mg/day, so I am headed for troubled waters again.

Hello Patrick.   Thanks for a mnost informative input.  A few weeks ago I was
challenged for urging people to do exactly what you advocate (keep the Carbidopa
down to around 100 mg /day), and although I could quote references I lack the
knowledge to explain the reasons as you have done. It just goes to show what a
powerful team we members of the list make when we are communicating and sharing
our knowledge.

--
Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]