From: Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: When to take PD Medication

On Thu 10 Oct, ++R W Lakin wrote:
> May a simple Engineer - and readers of recent posting will know that
> nobody comes much simpler than that - throw his hat into the ring on
> this subject.

Hello Ray, and welcome to the fray.  I don't recall seeing your name before,
but you have clearly been following the discussion for some time.

I will come clean and confess that I also am a simple Engineer. Not only
that, I am one of those who set the ball rolling on the 'Engineer' jokes:
At least we have had a few good chuckles as a result.

I like your Production plant model, but I place a slightly different
interpretation on what happens when  the disease reaches the later stages.

I have just completed a chart - a couple of graphs really- with which it
is possible to show that the increased sensitivity to levodopa is due
simply to the decay of the dopamine-producing cells in the Substantia
Nigra, and there is no need to assume that the continued degeneration is
caused by a 'use it or lose it' type of mechanism.

Out of respect for the majority of people on the list, who probably don't
want their mail boosted in size by an extra 25k of data, I will send the
chart, along with some explanatory words, to anyone who asks for it.
(Send requests privately to my email address to avoid clogging up the
system ). Since we engineers have to stick together Ray, I will send one
to you anyway.
  By the way where in the UK are you based ? (I live in Derby)

I hope we will hear more from you in the future.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]