On      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:21:01 -0400
Martha Rohrer wrote:

> Usually it has happened in the supermarket. When we arrive there,
>he is zipping around with no problem walking or with balance.
>About the time we arrive at the point in the store about as far from the
>car as one can get, he begins to get heavy feet. So far, this has given him

>enough time to leave and return to the car. Moments later, however, he can
>barely move. He always totes his quad cane with him wherever he goes, and
>usually it barely touches the ground. It is a security blanket. He has left
>it behind at the bananas, or at the coffee aisle, or where he was mulling
>over which brand of cereal provided the most beneficial fiber, only to miss
>it aisles later at the dairy section when his feet suddenly turned to lead.
>The result has been that I get my exercise racing up and down the length of
>the store looking for the missing appendage.

I wonder if there is anything special about supermarkets?? The lighting,
perhaps?? While I do not have a cane (good idea!), the carts furnished by
the supermarkets are my saviors. I start out by pushing it with ease, and
usually end up leaning on it more & more -- and many times I have even
considered climbing into it to be pushed around by someone, if only I could
maneuver my body into the cart ;<)

Margaret Tuchman(54yrs,dx1980)