We've worked awfully hard this year to pass direct legislation to cure
Parkinson's and came up a bit short.  In less than one month the entire
House of Representatives and much of the Senate is up for re-election.  It
is time now to reward those in Congress who have supported our cause.

The simplest way to reward our friends is to vote them back into office.
Another way is public thanks through letters to the editor of local papers
or calls to a talk radio shows.  There are lots of ways to let our feelings
be known to our friends. (I, for one, would not object to some
international help in this effort.  Americans have been known to get
'involved' in the affairs of other countries from time to time.)

We can also contribute to campaign funds for our supporters.  Politicians
seem to be particularly responsive to this last mode of thanks.  Believe it
or not, it may actually help get you in to see your representative the next
time you call. ;-)   Eventually, the PD community should consider having
its own political action organization to financially support our advocates
in Congress.

In addition, we have a right to seek the removal from office of those who
have thwarted us or ignored our appeals.  I hate to be negative, but there
are a number of candidates that I would be happy to send packing from
Washington.  Minimally, this is an opportunity to gain their attention
after all of our efforts to reach them have yielded no response.  Election
campaigns are the time when politicians are most sensitive to the issues
that affect their constituency.  Perhaps someone can repost the list of
Udall co-sponsors between now and Election Day.

Let's send a clear message that the Parkinson's community is not INVISIBLE
and that we deserve a cure.