Brian,
My "off/on" can at times actually be a response to lighting situations.  No
matter how "on" I am, if I were to walk out into the bright sun..........or a
red/pink lighting environment, I would be instantly "off".

Move me into the shade or turn off the red/pink light and I would be almost
immediately (a matter of only seconds) back to the "on" that I had prior to
the light.

I know it is atypical, but there are those of us out here whose body didn't
read the book prior to development of symptoms.  I had gradual onset with
this problem of a course of several years.  (Hind sight is wonderful!)

I have not yet spoken with or met a neurologist who begins to offer
suggestions/insight or what have you.

All I know is that each year the deterioration rate can be marked a little
higher.

(Grocery stores with pink lighting over the fresh produce are a real
challenge for me!).

Rita  Weeks