On 10/14/96 15:42:05 Ernie Peters wrote:

>Hey folks,
>
>Just been reading your mail and it hit a bell.  If there is one place I get
>more trouble than any other it is in our SUPERMARKET.
>
>One more thing, Julia has several times had what she can only describe as
>"Panic attacks" in supermarkets and needs to get out as soon as possible.
>She has failed to obtain all the items on the list because of this on
>several occasions.  She does not have PD or anything else to account for it
>and she is really practical and down to earth, so why?  It is not the
>crowds, because we make a point of going in quiet periods.
>
>Can't be coincidence, surely?  Is it just the lighting?  Is it worth
further
>investigation and thought?
>.
Thank Goodness someone else without PD is having a problem with lighting! I
was beginning to become very concerned about my intracranial machinery.

There have been several instances recently when I have suddenly become faint
and have felt like I was about to pass out. The first two occasions were at
the supermarket in front of the meat display cases. This, by the way, is
where they use the lights that enhance the color of the meat, particularly
in the red range of the spectrum. I remember turning my back to the display
so I could look for my husband. In a few moments the feeling passed, and I
was back to "normal" again. I am wary now when I am in that area of the
market and spend as little time there as possible.

On another occasion,(which may have been just a coincidence) in front of
the meat display area of the supermarket, I had just passed a woman who was
pushing her cart in the opposite direction. There was a loud thump, and when
I turned to look, I saw she had fallen flat onto her face in a faint, and
had pulled her cart over on top of her. That meat area seems to be a tad
risky to linger in.

The third time this happened to me was in a large, newly built and opened
office supply store. The lighting bothered me when I first went in, and
after a short time I felt like I was about to pass out once again. This
time, I had to request a chair and sit for at least ten minutes before I
felt able to move safely. When we were paying for our purchases, the clerk
complained of having a severe headache. Once out of the store I felt fine.

As far as any physical exam has determined, I do not have PD, or any problem
with any seizure disorder.

I had a long list of questions for Neal's neurologist for our visit the
other day. One of them was about the beneficial results reported by PWPs who
use blue tinted glasses. This was the first time I have found him uninformed
about a subject. And now I am going to have to ask about lighting in regard
to flicker rate and color spectrum. I hope he has answers.

Martha Rohrer