Dear Friends,

Many thanks to those who took the time to reply to my inquiry about fetal
transplants.  Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you, but I had a
family emergency.

After reading your postings and talking to those who've had either
transplant surgery or pallidotomies, I realize that both procedures get
mixed reviews.  Some people have an amelioration of some symptoms and a
worsening of others. Some have traded one set of symptoms for another.
Still others have improved in their ability to move while sacrificing
speech clarity. I appreciate your taking the time to reply so candidly.
Your responses made me realize that surgery is indeed a last resort and
shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

In evaluating my own situation, I've concluded that I'm not there yet and
there are still other options for me.  Although I'm taking more sinemet
than I'd like (10 CR's a day plus 1 10/100), the medication is still
working - provided I don't eat.

Ay, there's the rub! Yesterday  I attended an informational  meeting on the
subject of nutrition and sinemet, and a very earnest young dietitian told us she'd
interviewed several neurologists in preparation for her meeting, and they
told her we should eat a well-balanced and nutritious diet, including
protein, at every meal - and let the chips fall where they may. I didn't
want to embarrass her, but I was tempted to ask if either she or the
neurologists had ever been driving down a busy highway and were suddenly
unable to turn the wheel of the car, or were ever at the shopping mall
when they froze and wondered how they'd ever get home, or had picked up a
little baby and felt so weak they thought they'd drop it, or any of the
other intolerable situations we find ourselves in daily.  I didn't ask
because I knew what the answer would be: stop doing those things.

Well, I'm not ready to give in yet, because I know there are other options
out there.  One that interests me is the transdermal patch that has been
written about on the listserv.  I read about it casually at the time, but
would like more information now.  I know the research is being done at
Virginia Commonwealth University, but I don't know where that is or who
to contact there.  Does anyone know if there's still room for more in
their program or what is involved in the way of visits and check-ups?
Has anyone participated, or know someone who has? I'd appreciate any
information you all might have.

  pine`