As usual, by the time I get around to putting in my $0.02 worth, most of
it has already been said but I won't let that stop me.  :)  And, as
usual, I try to combine all my many topics in one message.

First, and probably most important:  The very BEST thing about a
discussion list such as ours is that anyone can join and ask/answer or
advise or ask for advice.  That is also the WORST thing.  I would caution
anyone against identifying him/herself as a person who lives alone and is
disabled...especially, do NOT send personal information...address, phone
number etc.  If anyone wants to start a singles' group, please submit a
phone number, and better yet, references.  Remember that the information
posted to this list will be read by a minimum of 1400 people.  I say
minimum because some of the messages are available on the Web and many
people print and copy these messages for other groups.

Second (and really part of the first):  We are mostly talking from
first-hand experience.  We are relying on the experiences of those who
are, perhaps, more advanced in their life-long learning about
Parkinson's.  Each of us knows that what happened to Person A is not
necessarily the same as what happens or will happen to Persons B,C or D.
But it is all part of learning about this thing (or these things) we call
Parkinson's.

Third.  No reputable professional will advise you to undertake or to drop
any series of medications, exercise, nutrition, or any type of therapy
over the internet.  Our members who post general information from their
professions ALWAYS remind us to check with our own physician.  Very wise
advice!  NEVER change any part of your treatment plan without consulting
your physician (except perhaps when it's the physician you want to
change).  I think, thanks to our many very wise members, that we have all
accepted the importance of proper nutrition and appropriate exercise to
our well-being in dealing with PD as a PWP or caregiver.

Like it or not, Parkinson's has been defined as a progressive
neurological disorder.  We can learn much from those who have progressed
more than we have.  We are also reminded that PD progresses differently
and at different rates for each of us.  If someone has already been down a
road that is unknown to us, it is wise to listen to their experiences.

Now, to the Pope... If he has Parkinson's, he certainly deserves our
compassion no matter how he chooses to deal with it.  We each have gone
through the shock and grief of diagnosis.  I can't help but think,
though, that he is unlikely to share David Boots' experience of "Stuck in
my Levi's Again".  For members who have joined more recently, David waited
too long to attempt to remove his belt and his hands were too weak and
uncoordinated to do it so he stuck the end of his belt in his door and
used that leverage to undo the buckle.  The Pope is also not going to
have concerns about feeding, clothing and educating his children on some
kind of disability benefits.  Nor will he have to worry about losing his
job or shopping for groceries or affording medical care and medications.
He will, however, have to face the fact that the world is watching.  If
he can handle that with the style and grace of Mohammed Ali, he will be
doing well.

Lastly, I would like to thank you all for your patience and understanding
during our listserver problems.  Everthing possible is being done to keep
these to a minumum...as someone recently said 'to err is human...it takes
a computer to really screw up'.  :)

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing