Ticia Morgan wrote (among other things):

     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  < It is rare to find a cure without knowing the cause.  Currently the
  <government registers tons of non-communicable diseases (cancer for example)
  <for the same reason.  Please give them some credit, we don't live in Nazi
  <Germany.  The statistics themselves won't give us the cure, but they will
  <give some brilliant researcher out there a leg-up in finding the cure.  $$$
  <for research is so slim these days that any help we can get/give a
  <researcher will be that much more time/$$$ he or she can devote to the
  <actual research and not the statistical gathering.

  <I realize there is the potential for abuse and discrimination.  However, I
  <believe in today's society of ADA and Human Rights activism there is more of
  <a potential for an increase of knowledge. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Ticia,

Sure we don't live in Nazi Germany, but is it not possible that the government
itself could be to blame for many kinds of polution through too much attention
to the bottom line or through outright ineptitude?
And if this is so, wouldn't they be interested in covering up the sordid facts?
Have a stake, so to speak, in the misuse of facts at their disposal?
What about the many cases of experimenting by the armed forces on captive guinea
pigs, the soldiers,sailors and marines, that are forever popping up? Ever since
making soldiers witnessing nuclear explosions, to making them watch blowing up
of nerve gas armories in Iraq.
Being ever hopeful about the good intentions of people can only lead to
disaster.
Yes, more knowledge is needed. That is knowledge for us, the people. And that is
what this List is making a good contribution to.

Registration without safeguards?     NO

Will A. Kuipers            ( 75 / dx '91 )
INTERNET:[log in to unmask]