At 11:20 AM 10/14/96 +0000, you wrote:
>On Sun 13 Oct, Charles Countryman wrote:
>>         Recent listings have clearly stated the benefits of early use of
>> Sinemet.  However I believe that it is incorrect to characterize Amantadine
>> as ineffective or old fashioned, especially if combined with Eldepryl.  My
>> personal experience with these medications has been good.
>>
>> This 3rd year of medications, I've started to have the
>> usual Parkinson's problems again.  Parlodel was added.  But it may be time
>> to switch to Sinemet. However, I submit that Amantadine can work
>> effectively and isn't old fashioned.  By the way, my Neurologist is a young
>> man. At 45, I feel old when talking to him!
>
>earlier but reliable ref. :
>
>- An anti-viral agent, accidentally found to have anti - Parkinson properties.
>- A safe drug (!! -see below) - useful in the treatment of mild cases.
>- About as effective as the anticholinergics (But its action is different)
>- Initial response within 2 weeks, then a gradual decline of benefit so that
>  in many cases the improvement has been lost within 3 to 6 months. In the
>  slowly progressive case however, the effect may be maintained longer.
>- Younger patients tolerate Amantadine well - 200 to 300 mg/day is optimal
>- No point in larger doses.
>- Side effects include confusion, hallucinations (esp. in the elderly) and
>  a mottled rash on the lower limbs.
>- Swelling of lower limbs may be exacerbated by use of Amantadine.
>
>My conclusion from the above is that
>
>a) Your PD is (like mine) probably of the slowly progressing type. (Which is
>   good news if you look at it in the right way)
>
>b) Amantadine STILL sounds like a mildly effective drug suitable for
>   early cases of PD, with potentially worse side-effects than levodopa,
>   and whose job could be done as effectively with a low dose of levodopa.
>
>c) Watch out for Parlodel -I do have personal experience of that and it is BAD.
>   I have only ever encountered one person (He is on this list) who has a good
>   word for Parlodel, and I have had many bad reports
>
>When you do go on to Sinemet, do try to keep the size of each tablet down as
>much as possible. Don't get stuck with for instance 3 x 250mg tablets per day.
>That is totally unnecessary.Much better to start with half a sinemet plus,
>taken evey 4 hours, and if that does not work, shorten the time interval down
>to a minimun of every 2 hours. Then go to a higher dose (three-quarters of a
>tab if you can do it - 1 tablet  if you can't) and repeat the 4 hours coming
>down to 2 hours, and somewhere in there you will find what is best for you.
>If you have any questions feel free to ask.
>
>--
>Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]
================

CONCLUSIONS ON MEDIC. FOR PD

Dear Brian and all

Being for 9 yrs  on Eldepryl and vit. E only, and still not too bad, I've
been watching your

wonderful reports re; medicines prescribed.

        The conclusions to be drawn as I see , as per comments from this
board,  seem to be:

  No. 1- Amantadine not effective, old  , no.2...Parlodel is quite
dangerous,  and

 3)Sinemet has to be carefully doled  out ..and experimented with .

.so what I have to look forward to when the doctor convinces me to go onto
''something'' is a juggling of medicines, with lousy side effects , creating
problems, and which will start being effective after 24 months or less ,etc.....

.So, I intend not to start any of them until I am crawling on the floor,

and I still can't understand all those early PWP taking problematic drugs
when they only have
occasional tremors or stiffness,,,it seems some dr's are pill pushers,  )some)

rgds  bernard k.