:-0     Ron, that's just a sign that the Vatican's "Spin Doctors" are hard at
work!

Bet in his "off-times" the Pope mutters the odd word of annoyance and
frustration - in Latin too.

Well, I'll go no further; no point in offending some of our folks out there.
You're point is well taken, though.

Cheers,

:-)

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Ron Reiner wrote:

> Hi: > > A couple of days ago I was listening to NPR (National Public
Radio) news > when they started discussing the Pope and His PD-like
symptoms.  Although > the Vatican has not confirmed a diagnosis of PD (or
anything else) the Pope > was quoted as saying that He "considers his
affliction to be a gift of > suffering from God." > > Did I understand
this correctly?  Or was this quote referring to something else? > > I hope
that I heard this wrong.  If the Pope is afflicted with PD, He has an >
opportunity to do some good for His fellow sufferers by underscoring both
> the physical and emotional havoc this disease can wreak.  However, by >
referring to it as a "gift from God" He is doing all of us a great >
disservice.  I understand the metaphor and appreciate his stoicism.  I'm >
sure it gives some sufferers strength; but it minimizes the severity of
the > problem in the eyes of the non-afflicted. > > I've only been
diagnosed for a year and my physical symptoms are quite > bearable. But
the emotional trauma for me has been devastating.  I am > constanly
worried about supporting my family, putting my kid through > college,
being able to work etc.  I may be a newbie at this but I do not >
recognize PD as a "gift." I hope that I have the wherewithal to face this
> and come out emotionally strengthened - but please don't call it a gift.
> > Ron Reiner (48 + 1yr) > > Ron Reiner

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598