From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Ron Reiner
Sent:   Wednesday, October 16, 1996 5:06 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Pope's Comment re PD?

Hi:

A couple of days ago I was listening to NPR (National Public Radio) news
when they started discussing the Pope and His PD-like symptoms.  Although
the Vatican has not confirmed a diagnosis of PD (or anything else) the Pope
was quoted as saying that He "considers his affliction to be a gift of
suffering from God."

Did I understand this correctly?  Or was this quote referring to something
else?

I hope that I heard this wrong.  If the Pope is afflicted with PD, He has an
opportunity to do some good for His fellow sufferers by underscoring both
the physical and emotional havoc this disease can wreak.  However, by
referring to it as a "gift from God" He is doing all of us a great
disservice.  I understand the metaphor and appreciate his stoicism.  I'm
sure it gives some sufferers strength; but it minimizes the severity of the
problem in the eyes of the non-afflicted.

I've only been diagnosed for a year and my physical symptoms are quite
bearable. But the emotional trauma for me has been devastating.  I am
constanly worried about supporting my family, putting my kid through
college, being able to work etc.  I may be a newbie at this but I do not
recognize PD as a "gift." I hope that I have the wherewithal to face this
and come out emotionally strengthened - but please don't call it a gift.

                Ron Reiner (48 + 1yr)

                Ron Reiner