Diane McHutchison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Lesanne Fliehler wrote:
>My father has PD/1 yr and also peripheral neuropathy. ....

>I'm intrigued.  What's peripheral neuropathy?

Do you mean a form of Charcot-Marie-Tooth--CMT--or its newer name of
Heredity Muscular and Sensory Neuropathy--HMSN?  These are a group of
diseases which affect nerves and muscles, and are usually more severe below
the knees and elbows.  My husband was diagnosed as a child, and has small
feet with high arches and hands that are not particularly strong.  Many
people in their 40s and 50s are just being diagnosed with one of these
conditions due to numbness in their legs and arms and poor balance.  Usually
studies reveal the person to have been clumsy for a long time, and to have
had family members with similar symptoms.  I have heard there are about
125,000 cases of CMT in the US.  MDA supports research but it is not a form
of Muscular Dystrophy.

There is a lot of info on these conditions at the CMTnet, which is, I think:
www.romulus.ultranet.com/~smith/CMTnet.html--the romulus part is new and not
on my permanent list of bookmarks.

The potential relationship between CMT and PD is interesting...with so many
forms of CMT and the variations of PD Lesanne's dad may both or just one
disease.  At present there is really no treatment for CMT, which is caused
by a wasting or wearing of the mylein (sic) proteins that act as insulation
for nerve fibers, and cause lower amounts of electrical energy to be
transmitted to the extremities.  On the other hand, genetic testing can
diagnose some forms of CMT, and this seems to be one of the frontiers of PD
testing.

Since I know more about CMT than PD, I'd be interested in getting a take
from you PD experts.

Cindy, CG for Gladys Birk, 79/1, Carmi, IL

Cindy Birk Conley