Brian Collins responded to my post with:

"Hello Kristin.  I think your dad is doing fine so far: The decision to try
Sinemet is a logical one, and should settle the question about whether he
has
PD."
<snip>
"Having completed the 30 days trial, if your dad responds favourably then it
is just a matter of working out the best dose- I would be pleased to give
you a bit more guidance then. However, if he does not respond, then you
need to consider whether you have tried a large enough dose. Thanks to the
Amantadine, your father is what, -2 to 3 years into PD? A brief excursion to
a higher dose would settle the question - You only need one positive result
to settle the question of 'Is it PD?' Positive response to levodopa is
considered to be one of the best indicators that a patient has PD."
_____
Dear Brian,
Well, I first want to thank you for answering my post.  You were the only
one I heard from.  I appreciate your offer of further guidance, and I'm sure
I will come to you later.

However, I am still quite concerned for my Dad and this 30-day Sinemet
test,... and I'll tell you why.  Dad was just diagnosed with PD *3 months*
ago, not 2-3 years ago.  Before diagnosis, he had his hand tremor for about
7 months (so that makes 10 months of tremor). Rt. hand tremor  is now, and
always was, his ONLY symptom!  No stiffness, slowness, etc...I am very very
frustrated that Amantadine did not work.  I keep trying to tell myself that
everyone responds differently to meds, but it seems to me that most people
on this List have had excellent results w/Amantadine controlling their
tremor.  Why not Dad?  The Amanatadine started working for a few weeks, then
stopped.

I thought Eldepryl was the culprit so he stopped it for 1 week...but alas,
the tremor did not stop.  I wonder (I'm thinking out loud now) if he didn't
stop for long enough. Well, I guess I'll just have to be patient these next
30 days and see how he responds.

Thanks again for listening to me vent. I should not be so upset, considering
it's Friday and I am going hiking this weekend in beautiful Vermont!

Kristin