Emma. . . thank you for your uplifting response (in addition to those of
George, Stephanie and Jacob)!!  I would like to add yet another perspective.

It is unfortunate that Pope John Paul's comments referring to this PD
affliction "as a gift from God" might be construed as doing a disservice.  As
the leader of the the Catholics in the world, the Pope has responded in
accordance with the beliefs of the Catholic faith.

We believe that for all its suffering and ambiguity, life is worthwhile and
has a purpose.  In fact, although the reasons for it may be mysterious,
suffering can be salvific.  Keeping in mind that pain and suffering in
themselves are not good, we are encouraged to follow the example of Jesus and
do all in our power to relieve it in ourselves and in others.  But when it
becomes clear that the suffering is unavoidable, then the suffering can be
made salvific by uniting it with Jesus' sufferings.  Cardinal Joseph
Bernardin of Chicago when announcing he has terminal cancer of the liver
remarked, "I consider this as God's special gift to me at this moment of my
life."

I don't believe that Pope John Paul's comment minimizes the severity of the
problem.  Because of his high visibility and his writings reminding us that
we must give of ourselves to those who need us most - with genuine
compassion, understanding and support - I cannot think of anyone who can make
more of an impact on the lives of those who suffer with PD.

In his encyclical, "The Gospel of Life,"  he states, "Respect for life
requires that science and technology should always be at the service of man
and his integral development.  Society as a whole must respect, defend and
promote the dignity of every human person, at every moment and in every
condition of that person's life."

May God always keep all of you in His care!!