There has been speculation that some of the messages here might be hazardous
to the peace of mind of newcomers to PD and to this list. IMOHO It seems
that the more informed we are, the better prepared we are to cope with the
problems that come our way. I have been grateful to those who have, through
their accounts of their trials, alerted me to potential problems ahead. This
has given me the opportunity to prepare myself mentally for things I cannot
change, and to take steps to avoid other pitfalls. The great variety of our
individual differences, in our reaction to medications, and to life, is
fascinating as well as frustrating. It should be a comforting reminder that
a problem that befalls one PWP will not necessarily be shared by you.

For example:
Sometime about a year ago, my husband went through a period where he would
dream aloud during the early morning hours. For nearly forty years before
retiring, he had taught business subjects to generations of high school
students. For a time, on many five AM occasions, I was treated to five or
ten minute re-plays of long-ago lectures on the fine points of business
correspondence, accounting and filing. It was as though a tape recording was
being played. His tone of voice and intonations, and throat clearings were
exactly as they must have been twenty to forty years before. There were even
the pauses while he seemed to be listening to a student's question, followed
by his answer. These episodes were so fascinating that I stayed awake to
listen. They were totally unlike anything that had occurred in his sleep in
the fifty plus years that had gone before. These episodes were almost as
though he was clearing his memory banks of unnecessary clutter. Once
cleared, they were not repeated.

On other mornings, there would be more disturbing dreams and he would be
shouting at something or someone. This was usually accompanied by kicks or
by arm movements. After a short time these dreams would subside, and he
would continue to sleep. Lately, there have been no more of these early AM
vocalizations.

I think I have read that normally the body is immobilized during the state
where dreaming takes place. What causes this to change in PD for some
people? Is it the medications or the changes in brain chemistry? Many very
young children go through a brief period where they experience night terrors
for no apparent reason. I can still remember one of mine, even though
seventy years have elapsed. (And no, they weren't caused by trauma or abuse
or medication.) I wonder if there is a common link to changes in brain
chemistry.

Hope I haven't scared anyone!

Martha Rohrer
CG for Neal(76/11)