PD Registry-Some Offhand Thoughts (15 Oct 1996):
I must admit, I was surprised at the number of objectors to a PD
registry; I guess it shows I wouldn't be a successful politician.
-REWARDS:
 -Better knowledge of how many PWP there are, underscoring its
  importance for research funding and other attention.
 -Uncover factors possibly related to PD, which may give insight
  about how to avoid it.
 -Better knowledge of symptoms and progression, leading to
  improved diagnosis and/or treatment.
 -Wider appreciation of PD among health professionals and business
  providers of goods and services for PWP.
 -Increased awareness by the general public.
-PENALTIES:
 -Costs of collecting, preserving, and disseminating the data.
 -Invasion of privacy, leading to possible abuse by insurers,
  employers, lenders, government authorities, etc.
 -Yet another government intrusion (if you worry about Big Brother)
-COMMENTS:
The rewards of a PD registry are self-evident, but the penalties
may not be. The principal objectors to the Nebraska registry seem
to be the doctors and pharmacists who do the reporting. I noted a
while ago that perhaps the answer is to pay them a fee for each
report. If the doctor's time is worth $100 an hour, and you pay
him, say, $10 per report, the national cost of 50,000 new reports
a year would be $500,000, not counting administration. Nothing is
free, and that money would have to be diverted from other purposes.
As for the privacy issue, some identification will always be
needed, to prevent duplication (just as in voter registration). No
protection of privacy can be absolute, so it boils down to how good
is it, and what is the risk to the PWP if it is breached. The PWP
who worry about this may also be thinking, I already know I have PD,
and it's too late for long-term research to stop its progression, so
what good is a PD registry to me personally? On the other hand,
PD registry or no, you can't conceal PD forever from a suspicious
employer, insurer, or official, and they don't even have to tell you
of their suspicion; so what do you stand to lose?
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road