YPSG MEMBERS -
The following announcement from Jim Cordy was on the PD listserver today.  I
wanted to share it with all of you because I have been asked to write a
letter of nomination for Terrie Whitling.  Those of you who attended our
10/12 YPSG meeting were fortunate enough to have heard Terrie speak.  I was
moved by her presentation.

With the group's approval I would like to submit a nomination from our
support group and not just me as an individual.  Since the deadline is Nov. 7
we won't meet again before the due date.  Therefore I'd like to do this
electronically and hear from those of you who heard Terrie (and particularly
from Linda and Rich) re my speaking for the group.  I'll circulate a draft on
the letter via email when it is completed.  In the meantime, I look forward
to hearing from you.
Thanks, Lynn ([log in to unmask])

The official announcement of the nominations for the "1996 Sidney Dorros
Memorial Award"  was mailed out several weeks ago.  Some have inquired of me,
as the receipent of the 1995 award, about the process.  I have therefore
asked asked Donna Dorros if I could post the information on the  Parkinsn's
List.  She whole heartedly agreed.  What follows are the details, as I
understand them.  Any questions or clarifications should be addressed to the
National Parkinson Foundation c/o Melinda Brown (1-800-327-4545 or

Posting on this list I believe is particularily appropriate as both the first
two receipents, Russell Ahlstrom and myself, used the cash award to purchase
computers.  Recieving this award was somewhat ironic for me as the first book
I read upon going to the library immediately after being diagnoised was
Sidney Dorros' autobiography.  Donna related that Sid and I shared a
philophsy - if
life gives you lemmons, make lemmonade.  Keeping a positive attitude, as best
as one can given this sinister disease, is one of the major factors that
keeps me going.  I understand this was true of Sid.

The "1996 Sidney Dorros Memorial Award"

Sidney Dorros, diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1962, was one of the
most noted Parkinson's patient advocates.  Demonstrating that even with
Parkinson's one can still make significant contributions, his accomplishments
include:

        -founded and was the  first president of the Parkinson's Society of
Greater Washington (one of the first  self-help groups in the United States
for people with Parkinson's);
-co-organizing the first national convention of the Parkinson's Support
Groups of America.;
 -the first  autobiography, published in 198, of what it is like to live with
Parkinson's Disease--Parkinson's: A. Patients View;

        -a series of essays on coping with Parkinson's, co-authored, with his
wife Donna,(published by the National Parkinson's Foundation.)

        -10 years of lecturing on coping with Parkinson's, all over the
country .

Sidney Dorros passed away due to complications of Parkinson's Disease on July
22, 1993.  Sid is/was an inspiration to everyone effected by Parkinson's. He
was a role model, a fighter and an educator.  It is fitting that his memory
be honored and his spirit kept  alive by awarding others for their
extraordinary and worked with Parkinson's Disease support groups.

Established in 1994 by the National Parkinson Foundation, the "Sidney Dorros
Memorial Award"  recognizes  an individual who has gone above and  beyond the
call of  duty in service for  the Parkinson's Disease community.  Nominees
may include support group or chapter members, caregivers or volunteers.
Included with the award is  a cash award of $5000.

Nomination criteria:

Please submit a brief essays (between 400--500 words) on why the  nominee
should be given this prestigious award.  The essays should include:

        Outstanding achievements and contributions by the nominee during 1996

        How the nominee  made an impact on the lives of others dealing with
 Parkinson's.

        How Parkinson's has affected the nominee personally

        Name, address, phone number and chapter or support group affiliation
of the nominee

Please send  essays and all other endorsements of the nominee by
November 7, 1996 to

The National Parkinson Foundation
1501N.W. 9th Ave. Bob Hope Road
Miami, Florida 33136
Attention: Melinda Brown, Manager of Public Relations