> Tamerius (D) is challenging California *Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R)
> (Note: is also cosponsoring Smith's version). In the October 1996 issue of
> the AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NURSING, Tamerius said, "Our practice will be
> determined by what happens in healthcare financing in the next 10 years. If
> we're not part of the solution, we'll be out
> of there," AMERICAN HEALTH LINE reports.
-----

After seeing this post, I couldn't resist writing.  I worked my 3-11
shift last night on a medical unit.  We take care of people with chronic
illness, primarily cardiac and pulmonary disease with a smattering of
neurological and oncological disease.  I left my shift a 2 a.m. frustated
and disappointed in the changes HMO philosophy has visited upon our once
compassionate institution.  In short, the reason I left work so late was
because we were *severely* understaffed - by design.

Please, please, please remember that if you, or your loved one, is
hospitalized for any reason and you are dissatisfied with the service you
received to  complain to your doctor and the hospital
administration *in writing*.  HMOs are not only encouraging doctors to
eliminate testing that might better define the patient's pathology,
refusing to allow what *they* consider unnecessary treatment and
procedures, but they also are encouraging hospitals to become 'lean and
mean.'  That means decreasing staff so that you may not receive the
nursing care you have a right to expect and receive.

The beauty of capitalism is that the consumer drives the system.  But,
the consumer must also voice dissatisfaction to make the system improve.
All of our lives are on the line here.  In a country where the finest
medical technology is available, patients are not being given ready
access to medical treatment and care because of the avarice of a single
industry.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann