Kenneth Rowland wrote:

> Anyone had any experience with DHEA?  It's supposed to aid mental acuity,
> improve mood, strengthen immune system, and many other benefits.  The Sept
> 16 issue of Newsweek had an article on it and other hormone therapys.

Kenneth,

I have been taking DHEA for about 5 or 6 weeks. I took it for about 1
month, then off for about 1 week, then on for about 1 week. I feel much
better when I am on it. It doesn't do anthing that I can notice for my
control but i seem to have much more energy.

My sources of information say that DHEA is a hormone put out by the
adrenal gland and the brain and is about 25 mg at age 25 and about 6 mg
in the 80's. ( see the magazine, Delicious, for the month of Oct 1996)
The anti-aging reputation is evidenly based on these numbers
and the assumption that if you restore the DHEA to youthful levels you
can at least partially prevent aging. Animal studies have shown that DHEA
supplements help to increase mental function in the middle-aged and in
the elderly. ( Science News, 1995, vol 147).  It  also lowers cholesterol
thus reducing athersclerosis. ( Circulation, 1993,  vol 87).

Should you take it? I think your decision should be based on the level
you now have in your blood. I had some blood drawn to measure the amount
of DHEA I have and I don't have the results back yet.

---Milo