May I add a word to those poor souls who have to get up 4 or 5 times a night
because of an urgent need to urinate?
Of course, an examination by a competent urologist is most important.  An
enlarged prostate gland should be attended to as early as possible.  But get
a second opinion before surgery.
"When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail," and, to some
doctors, every problem can be solved by a knife.
There are several possible drugs which may make matters easier, but my doctor
and I tried three before finding one without bad side effects.  We finally
settled on Levbid, which lets me get through the night with only a couple of
interruptions.
I have also had good results from self-cathetarization.  One must be very
careful to avoid infection, and  willing to take some discomfort, but the
catheter will empty the bladder in a few minutes and then is withdrawn.
A treatment just before bedtime may be sufficient.  Or you may want to repeat
three times a day.