George Lussier wrote:
> I've got it all straighted out....Permax is the brand name for >Pergoli=
de> and Parlodel is the brand name for Bromocriptine.=20
>     And now you come along and tell me that"Parlodel and Permax are >bo=
th Bromocriptine".=20

Perhaps "chemically related" would be more accurate; read on (taken from
the drug list I've been compiling):

Permax (Pergolide):=20
derivative used in the management of Parkinson's disease. Pergolide is
similar in action to other drugs in this class such as bromocriptine and
lisuride. Pergolide has 10 to 1000 times the potency of bromocriptine on
a milligram basis and may be effective in patients who have become
tolerant to bromocriptine. Pergolide was approved by the FDA in December
1988.

Parlodel (Bromocriptine):
chemically related to ergot alkaloids and lysergic acid. Bromocriptine
was originally approved for use in the treatment of postpartum breast
engorgement and parkinsonism. It now is used in a variety of
hyperprolactinemia syndromes including acromegaly. It also has been
beneficial in treating cocaine withdrawal. Related agents include
pergolide and lisuride, which have 10 to 1000 times the potency of
bromocriptine on a milligram basis.=CE=D2 Bromocriptine was originally
approved by the FDA in 1978 for the treatment of amenorrhea/galactorrhea
secondary to hyperprolactinemia and was subsequently approved for
infertility (1981), acromegaly (1984), prolactin-secreting pituitary
adenomas (1985). On August 18, 1994, the manufacturer announced it was
withdrawing the indication for bromocriptine for postpartum lactation
suppression.

Best,
Kathrynne
--=20
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538=20
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.