Robert Bishop wrote:

> May I add a word to those poor souls who have to get up 4 or 5 times a night
> because of an urgent need to urinate?
> Of course, an examination by a competent urologist is most important.  An
> enlarged prostate gland should be attended to as early as possible.  But get
> a second opinion before surgery.
> "When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail," and, to some
> doctors, every problem can be solved by a knife.
> There are several possible drugs which may make matters easier, but my doctor
> and I tried three before finding one without bad side effects.  We finally
> settled on Levbid, which lets me get through the night with only a couple of
> interruptions.
> I have also had good results from self-cathetarization.  One must be very
> careful to avoid infection, and  willing to take some discomfort, but the
> catheter will empty the bladder in a few minutes and then is withdrawn.
> A treatment just before bedtime may be sufficient.  Or you may want to repeat
> three times a day.

For benign prostate enlargement I have found that Saw Palmetto works
wonders for me.  I was looking at surgery until I heard about this
stuff. In one month it increased my flow rate and my total output at one
unmination by 50%. I told my urologist about it and he is now prescribing
it. In case you are unfamiliar with it, it is an extract from a small
palm tree that grows on the east coast. It is avialable without
pescription at health food stores at much less cost than Proscar and no
side effects.

---Milo