Joyce Tames wrote:
>> In particular,  Im confused at the many responses all quoting difference
> daily maximums of B6.  It seems that there is concensus on taking not more
> than the RDA which seems to be about 25 mg.

Joyce,
I am in Texas and away from my files, so cannot give a complete answer
at this time, but will do my best working from memory.

Back before the levodopa/carbidopa combination, B6 seriously interfered
with levodopa, and it was advised never to take B6 supplements, or foods
high in B6.

When carbidopa was added, it removed the interference, and the B6
restriction no longer applied. Your regime is quite high in B vitamins,
but ordinarily I would not think it would be a problem. My first guess,
and it's only speculation, is that the accident and operations rather
than the B vitamins caused a setback resulting in tremor, particularly
as your husband sees gradual improvement. Is your tremor in the hand/arm
on which the operations were performed?

Also, I would not discount the effects of stress; the accident, the
resulting operations, and the adaptation you have endured are all
productive of great stress, and could cause or contribute to many
long-lasting effects, such as tremor.

You note you take the vitamins on alternate days; B vitamins are not
stored in the body, excess is removed via the urine. Do you notice any
difference on the days you don't take B vitamins?

Cutting back, as you plan to do, should be a good experiment. I'd allow
more than a week, though; at least two or three weeks. There are many
possible factors that could cause fluctuations and/or setbacks (such as
medications, anesthetics, etc. used during your wrist operations, not to
speak of the stress you have been under) particularly if the tremor is
in the hand on which operations were performed. I'd also mention this to
your doctors; I realize your neurologist was not very helpful regarding
the vitamin regime, but I'd bring it up anyway. And your other
physicians may have some additional input.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD