Don't worry, I didn't change meds without talking with the doctor.  And I
followed a schedule of dose increases as prescribed by him. I am lucky,
however, to have a neurologist who answers my phone calls quickly
and is willing to discuss things with me.  Sometimes he suggests things,
and sometimes he responds to my questions about possible med changes.
My first neurologist was not so "user friendly."

Charlie Barasch