Marvin Giles wrote:

> By the way....does anybody have an answer? I'm not afraid to ask what may be
> a very silly question? How long between...I mean...should I start gulping
> down prunes after two days with no activity?

Marvin,
Believe me, it's not a silly question! Bowel obstruction is very
painful, can result in hospitalization, occasionally even surgery, with
long-lasting results. You are quite right to be concerned.

Your question, however, is different for everyone. Some people normally
have 2 or 3 movements daily; others are equally normal and healthy and
only have movements a couple of times a week. It depends somewhat on the
type and amount of foods eaten, and more on the individual's own rate of
peristalsis.

When to be concerned? Well, ask yourself how often is normal for you. If
you are accustomed to a daily movement, I'd try to continue that--or at
least have a movement every 2 or 3 days. After that time, I'd use
whatever system works best for you, excluding regular use of laxatives
which can harm the intestinal walls. The archives contain a constipation
protocol which should help.

Best regards,

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD