Dear friends,

About an hour ago I gave mother her first 25/100 generic sinemet pill, after
visiting the neurologist Thursday afternoon.  We got along really well,
except that mom woke me up at 6 a.m. for breakfast--normally we eat at
8--and I had to change cars from the one mom gets in easiest due to engine
problems.

The doctor asked lots of questions, then started checking out her head with
a stetsescope (sic), prinking her with a pin, and hitting her with a mallet
and tuning fork, looking in her eyes...you probably know the drill.  Then he
said she had ideomatic (sic) parkinsons, meaning that its cause has not been
determined.  He answered all my questions, listened to talking about the
Internet people, got out a order blank for a mail order place and gave us
two prescriptions fot the sinemet, one for 100 to fill locally and one for
360 to send off after seeing how mom gets along.  He says Wal-Mart and
K-Mart might be as cheap as Athena or other mail orders pharmacies, and I
didn't find the cost of the generics that high.  He said she might need the
CRs, as she is pretty stiff, but started her on 4 x daily, with meals and at
night.  No big reduction of protein for the time being.  It might take three
or four weeks for the meds to work...look for nausea or hallucinations.

The neuro does want her to come back in two weeks for an EEG and Cat Scan,
to make sure she does not have a brain tumor causing the symptoms--her head
does hurt when she tries to turn her head, and she has sinus problems.  He
also wants her to see him in six weeks to see if the meds are helping.  He
will send a report to our GP cautioning him about waiting to refer patients.
(I hope the GP doesn't get mad at me.)

Thanks for all your help and support.  Lets just hope she starts feeling
better and looser.  If I missed anything please respond.

Cindy, CG for Gladys Birk, 79/1, Carmi, IL

Cindy Birk Conley