Many thanks to Mary Rack and to Mary Ann for your welcoming messages and
your advice on my husband David's breathing and swallowing difficulties.  I
certainly will investigate the question of speech therapy for him.  At
present he uses inhalers ("Ventolin", "Viarex") to relieve the phlegm; has
also received vapour treatments in the emergency room at the hospital on two
or three occasions; but none of the doctors has so far suggested any other
therapy.  I am unfortunately only too familiar with "aspiration pneumonia"
from my CP daughter - she is hospitalised with it three or four times a
year! (due also to swallowing difficulties from her condition); but David
has so far luckily managed to avoid it.   He finds soft smooth foods such as
yoghurt or apple puree, and also warm drinks, particularly helpful in
stimulating his swallowing, and always keeps a bowl of yoghurt next to him
at mealtimes. If he feels his swallowing "freezing" during a meal, he
doesn't attempt to force it - simply leaves the food aside until whatever
time he feels able to finish it.
To Mary Rack - good luck regarding your mother - I hope her improvement
continues.
        Best wishes to all,       Margaret.