Bob Anderson wrote asking about the benefits, costs, etc about DHEA and
NADH.
Bob,

I scanned in this page on DHEA from Life Extension, a mail order company
that advertises itself as the "Ultimate Source for New Health and Medical
Findings from Around the World". You can reach them at 1-800-841-841-5433,
or visit their website at http://www.lef.org/lef/index.html
I am not recommending them, nor can I vouch for the products they sell. They
do put out an interesting publication. Judge for yourself!

DHEA

Because of some recently published studies in elderly humans, the
news media have been touting the multi-faceted anti-aging benefits
of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone).

DHEA is now fulfilling much of the promise indicated in the
animal studies that Saul Kent and The Life Extension Foundation
have been informing our members about since 1975.

For those suffering from adult-onset diabetes, atherosclerosis,
Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease, or any form of autoimmune
disease such as multiple sclerosis or lupus, DHEA replacement
therapy is highly recommended.

DHEA can be expensive for people who need high doses, but for
most people it is reasonably priced.  We recommend blood tests to
measure the effect that DHEA supplementation has on your DHEA
serum level.  While these tests currently cost $55-$l10, they
can save you money by enabling you to lower your daily dose of
DHEA.  Men should also have more regular PSA (prostate specific
anti    gen) tests to make sure they do not have prostate cancer.

It is regrettable that we have had to advise men with prostate
cancer to avoid DHEA because it could increase testosterone (and
subsequently dihydrotestosterone levels), which could accelerate
the proliferation of prostate cancer cells.  For all men taking
DHEA, we suggest supple mentation with SERENX (saw palmetto
extract) to block the conversion of testosterone into the more
dangerous dihydrotestosterone.

SERENX(also called PEPMIXON)has not been listed in the top ten because
it is not an appropriate therapy for most women.  However, for men
over 40, we strongly recommend the daily intake of 1-2 capsules of
lowcost SERENXto prevent benign 'Prostatic hypertrophyand possibly
prostate cancer.

If DHEA was completely free of side effects, and did not require
blood testing, we might list it higher.  It is a well
substantiated life extension therapy that can help to pro-
tect us againts many of the degenerative diseases associated with aging, and
may have an effect on aging itself.

LIFE EXTENSION MAGAZINE           - 15-     1996 COLLECTOR'S EDITION
This is information from Clinical Pharmacology, a drug software program:

Dehydroepiandrosterone, DHEA

Classification
--Hormones and Hormone Modifiers
--investigational

Indications
-proteinuria+
*systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)+
Comments

and the testes and is converted intc) estrogen and testosterone by
peripheral tissues.  DHEA is under investigation as a treatment for lupus.
Actions:        Because SLE occurs more frequently in women than men and because
SLE is known to worsen during pregnancy, a hormonal etiology is suspected.
DHEA appears to exert a beneficial action in SLE via its ability to alter
hormonal balance.  DHEA has been shown to be beneficial in SLE while, in a
separate study, the semi-synthetic androgen 19-nortestosterone did not
improve SLE in female patients and worsened the disease in male patients.

Correspondingly, testosterone concentrations increased in patients who
received DHEA while they decreased in patients who received the androgen
(perhaps due to negative feedback on FSH/LH secretion).
Uses: treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE); also effectively
reduced SLE-associated proteinuria in several patients.
Distinguishing Features: DHEA leads to elevation in testosterone
concentrations while producing a lower degree of masculinizing effects than
occur during administration of erogenous androgens.
Major Adverse Reactions: in a 3-month study of 28 women with SLE,
the following ADRs were noted: acneiform rash, weight gain (statistical
significance not applied).

Usual Adult Dose: a dose of 200 mg PO once daily was successful in one study
(Arth Rheum 1995;38:1826-31.).

Manufacturer:   GeneLabs Technologies, Inc., Redwood City, CA.
(415)-369-9500.