Good Morning!
I have been doing a little research in the subject of governmental waste.
It is an eye opening experience! I will post the results, but for an
appertizer, I thought I would share this:

   " Without a request from either the president or the Senate, the House
once again provided funding for the following item, which was originally a
parting gift to the late Speaker of the House, Thomas P. (Tip) O'Neill:
$19,600,000 for the International Fund for Ireland. In the past, this
program has used American taxpayer dollars for a golf video and pony
trekking centers."

FYI - PD Research funding received in prioe years was 28 Million --> 19.6 M
is 70% of 28 M.

I would like to ask all of you who have access to a browser, a library, the
magazine or newstand, listen to a radio or TV, to collect information on
gov't waste/boondoggle/pork barrell/or just plain, pork. It will make our
arguments much more meaningful come January 1997!

Our candidates should have a CLEAR stand on the issue of pork-barrel
projects contained in the FY 1997 appropriations.
Pork barrell items meet two or more of the following criteria:

     requested by only one chamber of Congress;
     not specifically authorized;
     not competitively awarded;
     not requested by the president;
     greatly exceeds the president's budget request or the previous years
funding;
     not the subject of a congressional hearing; or
     serves only a local or special interest.

Ask them how they have voted on unrequested funding items.

Margaret Tuchman(54yrs,dx1980)