>>   Have any of you had experience with Social Security?  (Crazy question,
>of course many of you from the US have)  Anything I should know?  I know
>this is last minute, but I will check just before my telephone interview.
>>
>>   Thanks in advance.  If you can't beat my interview time, please share
>your experience anyway.
>>
>>Rich Morelli
>
>Rich,
>
>        My mother began the process with Social Security and Disability in
>Oct. of 1995, by February 1996 she had been Ok'd to receive benefits. She
>was warned that it could take anywhere from several months to several years
>to get through it all, depending on whether she was denied the first time.
>Fortunately she was not denied and had no problems. The disability benefits
>kicked in as of March.
>        Another friend of mine, who does not have PD, but has lost
>peripheral(spelling?) vision because of a stroke, applied for disability
>because of a stroke.  Her process took three years. I have heard that it
>really depends on who the "powers that be" are and the severity of the
>disability.
>        Hope this helps.
>
>Debbie Baumgart
>CG for Mom 60/4

What type of benifits do you refer to?
My mother in law is 70 so her SS is in the time slot that doesn't get very
much SS at all.  I will never truly understand it.  But she has PD very bad,
with no insurance and it is all they can do to make their rent.  She is on
Medicare to pay for her dr. but if there is anything else that might help
her out such as disability or such I would really like to know. We help out
as much as possible but we aren't much better off.  We have started a new
busines, have 2 kids and are working on a tight shoe string budget.
If you are referring to the powers that be as connections I am afaid we are
sorely lacking in those.
Laurie