On Mon 21 Oct, Linda S. Breedlove wrote:
> My husband Ed (49/dx 3 yrs ago) experiences sort of a combination
> nightmare/hallucination many nights about half-hour after falling
> asleep.  He's aware that he's experiencing this (and calls out for me to
> be there while he does) so I guess it's really a hallucination.  He's on
> Sinimet, Permax and Eldepryl -- would anyone  have an idea of which of
> those three is likely to be causing the vivid hallucinations?
>
> Also,  heard something on last nights' local news about a town in Iowa
> experiencing a *very* high incidence of Lou Gehrig's Disease (another
> devastating neuromuscular disorder that's usually fatal).  It's a
> statistically significant incidence, and they're trying to figure out
> just why.  I thought that was interesting, in view of our discussions
> here on various factors in PD patient's backgrounds that might have
> caused PD's occurrence.
>
> Back to the hallucinations--any info/experiences would be welcome.
>Thanks.
>
> Linda B. (for Ed, 49/3)
> Columbia, MO

Hello Linda.  Re: your question about the probable cause of nightmares/
hallucinations. I think the Eldepryl is by far the most likley cause.
While it is in the brain, it breaks down to amphetamine - "Speed"-
way back, when my neuro put me on 2 eldepryl tablets per day, I took one
in the morning, and one in the evening, and I started to have the most
vivid 'waking dreams' that I had ever experienced. So I stopped taking
the evening tablet, and the dreams stopped. One of my rules is that the
neuros can olay with my brain, but my mind is mine and hands OFF.
If you don't want to give up the tablet, then you should ensure that the
last tablet of the day is taken no later than Mid-day.

Permax, despite the adverse reports of two people on the list, Is
considered to be relatively free of side effects, and Sinemet even more-so
--
Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]