Margaret Tuchman writes:

Date:    Sat, 26 Oct 1996 06:45:22 -0400
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: I AM MAD & I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

Good Morning!
I have been doing a little research in the subject of governmental
waste.
It is an eye opening experience! I will post the results, but for an
<snipped to save bandwidth>...

Most of us talk about THE government as if we are discussing earthquakes
or hurricanes - events and forces beyond our control. WE ARE the
government. How many people reading this post (and c'mon, be honest)
have taken the time to read Harry Browne's (Libertarian), John Hagelin's
(Natural Law) or Ralph Nader's (Green Party) platform?  Yes, it's true,
WE are the problem. And when Nov. 5th roles around, we become a nation
of lazy, cynical, disinterested citizens who are ambivalent about the
miracle of democracy. And for the minority who *do* take the time to
cast their ballot -- they invariably vote the same Repu-Demo ticket and
*actually* expect things to change. Even laboratory rodents will
eventually stop hitting a lever that delivers a shock. Haven't we
learned anything from the courageous work of Joan Samuelson and Jim
Cordy re: the Udall Bill, or from Madison and Jefferson? WE are
responsible for our destiny. Wake up America. It's not some nameless,
faceless, Washington bureaucrat that's the problem. As Pogo said "we
have met the enemy, and it is us."
--
Martin K Bayne     http://www.mr-longtermcare.com