Greetings Steven,
I'm sorry you have chosen to express your sentiments regarding NADH in this
fashion. While I don't wish to engage in an ongoing 'debate' on the merits
of NADH in pd, I would hope that the readers will not stop at your message
(particularly as your signature includes 'PhD').
You are quite correct that the mainstream medical community in the U.S. has
not recognized NADH however studies are not 100% negative on the efficacy of
NADH for pd.
I strongly feel that the validity of someone with pd using NADH is highly
individual and subjective particularly since there are no apparent side
effects. Our (Jeff's 46/8 and my) own knowledge both first and second hand
of NADH suggests it absolutely does no harm and in Jeff's case and many
others', NADH does provide at least some degree of relief from lack of
energy and tremor. If for no other reason than the lack of energy, NADH has
great value. Before Jeff started on NADH the tiredness was virutally
'hynotic'; he could hardly stay awake for more than an hour or two at a
time. What kind of quality of life is that for a 46 yr old man with a 12 yr
old daughter and a 9 yr old son? Fatigue is very much a main sympton of pd
so I don't see how the line is so clearly drawn that NADH is a 'waste of
time' for pd.
I hope in the future we can share our opinions with an even hand and that we
all come to appreciate anecdotal information on issues of alternative
medicine, prayer/meditation, vitamins, herbs and so on. I readily admit that
I am not the one with pd and I also readily admit that I cannot begin to
convince Jeff to give up NADH because it's a 'waste of time' and 'useless'.
I would agree that NADH is not without controversy; however, many mainstream
medications have some degree of controversy in certain situations. I'm sure
NADH is not for everyone. I hope everyone will decide for themselves (on
NADH) based on their degree of pd, the symptoms they have, their quality of
life and so on.
Respectfully,
Lisa Carper

At 09:37 PM 10/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
> Neurological studies have shown that there is no good evidence that NADH
or DEAE have any use in PD. Fortunately they do not appear to be toxic,