123456789112345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712345678
The official announcement of the nominations for the "1996 Sidney Dorros
Memorial Award"  was mailed out several weeks ago.  Some have inquired of
me, as the receipent of the 1995 award, about the process.  I have therefore
asked asked Donna Dorros if I could post the information on the  Parkinsn's
List.  She whole heartedly agreed.  What follows are the details, as I
understand them.  Any questions or clarifications should be addressed to the
National Parkinson Foundation c/o Melinda Brown (1-800-327-4545 or

Posting on this list I believe is particularily appropriate as both the first
two receipents, Russell Ahlstrom and myself, used the cash award to purchase
computers.  Recieving this award was somewhat ironic for me as the first book
I read upon going to the library immediately after being diagnoised was Sidney
Dorros' autobiography.  Donna related that Sid and I shared a philophsy - if
life gives you lemmons, make lemmonade.  Keeping a positive attitude, as best
as one can given this sinister disease, is one of the major factors that keeps
me going.  I understand this was true of Sid.

The "1996 Sidney Dorros Memorial Award"

Sidney Dorros, diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1962, was one of the most
noted Parkinson's patient advocates.  Demonestrating that even with Parkinson's
one can still make significant contributions, his accomplishments include:

        -founded and was the  first president of the Parkinson's Society of
         Greater Washington (one of the first  self-help groups in the United
         States for people with Parkinson's);

        -co-organizing the first national convention of the Parkinson's Support
         Groups of America.;

        -the first  autobiography, published in 198, of what it is like to live
         with Parkinson's Disease--Parkinson's: A. Patients View;

        -a series of essays on coping with Parkinson's, co-authored, with his
         wife Donna,(published by the National Parkinson's Foundation.)

        -10 years of lecturing on coping with Parkinson's, all over the country .

Sidney Dorros passed away due to complications of Parkinson's Disease on
July 22, 1993.  Sid is/was an inspiration to everyone effected by Parkinson's.
He was a role model, a fighter and an educator.  It is fitting that his memory
be honored and his spirit kept  alive by awarding others for their
extraordinary and worked with Parkinson's Disease support groups.

Established in 1994 by the National Parkinson Foundation, the "Sidney Dorros
Memorial Award"  recognizes  an individual who has gone above and  beyond the
call of  duty in service for  the Parkinson's Disease community.  Nominees may
include support group or chapter members, caregivers or volunteers.
Included with the award is  a cash award of $5000.

Nomination criteria:

Please submit a brief essays (between 400--500 words) on why the  nominee
should be given this prestigious award.  The essays should include:

        Outstanding achievements and contributions by the nominee during
        1996

        How the nominee  made an impact on the lives of others dealing with
        Parkinson's.

        How Parkinson's has affected the nomiee personally

        Name, address, phone number and chapter or support group affiliation
        of the nominee

Please send  essays and all other endorsements of the nominee by
November 7, 1996 to

The National Parkinson Foundation
1501N.W. 9th Ave. Bob Hope Road
Miami, Florida 33136
Attention: Melinda Brown, Manager of Public Relations