At 09:09 PM 10/29/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Ted:
>
>According to some recent (refereed) research I uploaded to this listserver a
>few weeks ago, the hereditary component of PD results from defects in the
>mitochondrial DNA.

>At 02:32 PM 10/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>The other day one of my sons , Mark asked me about what sounded like a resting
>> tremor in his left hand. Since this seemed to be a very occasional thing I
>> told him to keep a record of the occasions , but not to be to concerned.
>>       I got to thinking about Mark, Then I started to worry about Mark. Now I
>> am starting to worry about Mark's Identical twin brother Ken. Mark and
Ken are
>> 35 years old . I was diognosed with Parkinsons when I was about 57.
>>         Does anyone have any thoughts.
>>                                Thanks for listening
>>                                              Ted Nelson
>>
>>Ted,
    I certainly can understand your concerns for your sons.  My father had
  Parkinsons in the 50's and my mother always told me that the Doc told her
  "don't worry, it's NOT hereditary."  Well, at age 41 I was diagnosed.
  Again, the doctors told me "it's not hereditary."  One doc said she saw
  no reason to even explore family history, that it wouldn't help or hurt to
  know now - her view was " you have it & let's treat it, not your past."
    The best thing I can say is that because of your having it and knowing
  what to look for, you may be able to help your sons to get an early
  diagnosis and for sure, you'll be able to give them emotional support.  I
  didn't/don't get that from my mother - my Parkinsons just brought up a
  very upsetting past, a memory that she didn't want to re-live.  You can
  help your sons, be ther for them, etc.

  mark hardy