Today's NY Newsday (P.A21) contains an article to the effect that animal
experiments have been done in which nerve and brain tissue damage is
deliberately caused and that resultant  brain tissue damage can then be
partially cured by administration of  drugs that prevent tissue rejection.
The article reports that "surprising new evidence" now exists that some of
the drugs used to keep transplanted organs from being rejected may also help
overcome brain damage caused by strokes, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's
disease. The scientist giving the report (Dr. Solomon Snyder) explained that
it only takes partial restoration of dopamine-producing cells to get near
normal function in the animals tested.
                   The article ends, however, with a note of caution, namely,
that caution is needed about extrapolating results of animal tests to humans,
and also that years of testing the drugs used (cyclosporine and FK506) will
be needed before they are approved for use in nervous-system disorders.
                    The article was based on a report of Dr. Solomon Snyder,
"who has long studied the nervous system and its biochemistry at the John
Hopkins Medical Institutions." He is stated to be leading brain research
scientist.
                     I am promptly posting this article because it offers
considerable encouragement, and opportunity for Parkinson list members to
really follow up on this and certainly to use this research report and others
like it to prod certain
Congressmen.
                     I trust that we will be learning more soon and that we
can share the information with each other.
                         David Silverman (caregiver for a dear friend)