        With masterful understatement, Will A.Kuipers describes one of the many
exasperating impossibles in the wonderful world of PD.

        "This is one of those very minor irritations that in due time can get all
out of proportion."

        At the risk of making a commercial endorsement based on familiarity with
only one product, I heartily endorse turning the mouse on its back and replacing
it with a track ball. All track balls remain in place on the computer desk: No
more mouse pad, no more running out of room.  The ball is in a fixed cradle.
Rotating the ball with one's thumb moves the on-sceen cursor.

        The one I use is marketed by Logitech. My model has three "mouse-click"
buttons which can be programmed to perform a wide variety of functions.  These
functions can differ from program to program.  I have mine fixed at  "click"  ;
"double click" [press once, click twice] ;  and "click hold" [press = click on,
press again = click off  !!!!] As I recall, the price was less than $50 [Mac
version]

George Andes  62/14 and counting