Subject: Immuno-supressive Drugs and PD

Hello everyone, I have been very interested to see the reports on the apparent
ability of some of the immuno-supressive drugs which are routinely used in
transplant operations, to regenerate damaged brain cells. This has provoked
the understandable reaction: These are drugs which are already cleared for
use on people - let's GO!  At the risk of being regarded as a spoil-sport, I
think we should keep two points in mind which may be important.

1) The reports referred to 'modified versions' of the drugs such as FK506 and
   cyclosporin: These modifications may effectively render all or some of the
   clearance testing on these drugs irrelevant, requiring re-tests.

2) This is just a guess, but I would not be surprised to find that like the
   vast majority of drugs that the general public take, the size of the
   molecule is too large to get across the blood/brain barrier - that
   amazing filter that lets levodopa through, but not carbidopa for instance.
   If this is so, then All of the previous testing is irrelevant, amd we go
   back to square one as far as clearance testing. It would also mean that
   the drug would have to be injected directly into the brain, but that is
   something which we are more familiar with.

   So there I go spreading gloom and misery- sorry folks

   Regards, Brian Collins