[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Charlie Meyer,
>
> Your course of action looks good to me.
>
> I'm surprised you didn't get more responses from other people here who have made
> disability claims.  I've seen discussions about the matter previously.
>
> Just to set the record straight, I was suggesting Standard Ins. be concerned
> that their actions become known all over the Internet, not just this list.
> (You're right, they sure don't want us as customers.) It's easy to post
> messages to all kinds of Newgroups who would likely be potential customers of
> the company.
>
> Also, Jackie Gilman's suggestion about the Congressmen is a good one if you
> still need help.  First, Congressmen love to stick their noses into all kinds of
> non-Federal matters if it can help a constituent.  They are really
> under-utilized ombudsmen for each of us.  Second, the insurance industry is
> virtually unregulated by the Federal Government such as banks and ordinary
> corporation are - and they want to keep it that way!  They don't like to p---
> off Congressmen, and are responsive to them. I used to work for one.  There were
> a number of major life insurance company failures in the first half of the 90's
> and it has started a lot of talk about Federal regulation.
>
> GO GET 'EM
>
> B.Bruce Anderson

HI Bruce,

I like Jackie and your Ideas now that I think about them about
advocating for federal regulation of insurance companies.  On problem is
that this insurance company is in Oregon and I'm in Wisconsin.  They
have no local representative.  If they had just met me once when I was
either off or diskinetic the issue would have been reesolved.  They can
act without taking perssonal responsibility from 2000 miles away.

We are supposed to get an answer today or tomorrow-  like we were
supposed to get one a week ago.  I expect them to try and play on my
finacial situation and attempt to bargain their way out of  some
provisions of the policy.  Anything less than full benefits will result
in a law suit and unless we can negotiatie them paying my legal fees
there is a good chance I will sue any way.

I do want to thank the several people who responded privately to me.
Also e-mail ftom anyone who has had any dealings with Standard Insurance
of Portland Oregon would be appreciated.

Charlie

Charles T. Meyer, MD    Madison WI