Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:31:39 +0500
From: Martin Bayne <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: government waste

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> >>Most of us talk about THE government as if we are discussing earthquakes
> or hurricanes - events and forces beyond our control. WE ARE the
> government. How many people reading this post (and c'mon, be honest)
> have taken the time to read Harry Browne's (Libertarian), John Hagelin's
> (Natural Law) or Ralph Nader's (Green Party) platform?  Yes, it's true,
> WE are the problem. And when Nov. 5th roles around, we become a nation
> of lazy, cynical, disinterested citizens who are ambivalent about the
> miracle of democracy. And for the minority who *do* take the time to
> cast their ballot -- they invariably vote the same Repu-Demo ticket and
> *actually* expect things to change. Even laboratory rodents will
> eventually stop hitting a lever that delivers a shock. Haven't we
> learned anything from the courageous work of Joan Samuelson and Jim
> Cordy re: the Udall Bill, or from Madison and Jefferson? WE are
> responsible for our destiny. Wake up America. It's not some nameless,
> faceless, Washington bureaucrat that's the problem. As Pogo said "we
> have met the enemy, and it is us."
> --
> Martin K Bayne     http://www.mr-longtermcare.com<<
>
> Martin,
>        I agree 1000%  But what is the answer????  I'm sick and tired of voting
> for the "lesser of two evils" but also know what happened in 1992.  I must admit
> I voted for the other candidate and look what happened??  Do the same again and
> insure another four years of that smirky, draft dodging, chameleon??
> I think not.  Unless someone can show me that its not in vain I'll probably vote
> for Dole although I think his chances are slim to nothing.  At least I won't
> spend four more years of wondering what would have happened had I voted for
> Bush. (If I thought they had a chance in h***, I'd vote Libertarian.  Their
> philosophy is nearer to mine.
>
> Albert (Joe) Young Jr.

Mr. Young;  thank you for your letter, but what is this "lesser of two
evils" stuff?  If your 16 year old daughter had been asked out by Ted
Bundy and Charles Manson would you allow her out of the house with
*either* of them? (Here's where I pause -- and being the eternal
optimist that I am -- hope you answer no to the preceding question) If
the Libertarian Party lights your fire, then pull the lever on Nov. 5
for Mr. Browne. To me, every vote is like honor or courage. Have you
ever heard anyone talk about "wasted" honor or courage?  MKB
--
Martin K Bayne     http://www.mr-longtermcare.com